Friday, February 20, 2009

Shin splints suck

I decided to step up my workouts at the gym this week and start running on the treadmill. I thought this would have at least 3 benefits:

1. Higher intensity=less time on the treadmill
2. If I'm working harder, then I'm less likely to focus on how BORING being on the treadmill is
3. I've always wanted to be a runner. I think there is a runner inside of me begging to get out. I think about running. I dream about running. I remember loving to run when I was younger. I feel this real urge to run. So I can start my journey towards becoming a runner!

I also realized for the first time that you don't have to be at a high speed on the treadmill in order to run. I can actually run at the same speed I walk by doing a light jog.

I thought that was a great place to start.

So Monday, I started to run on the treadmill. I would jog for about 2 minutes, then walk for about 2 minutes. Then jog for 2 minutes, walk for 2-3 minutes. It was hard, but it felt great. My heart was pumping!

Tuesday morning I did yoga. Right after I did yoga, I started to feel pain in my shins. But not too bad. I felt a soreness all over my body, so I didn't think much about it.

When I went to the gym on Tuesday evening, I did the same jogging/walking thing on the treadmill. Again, I was sore. But I thought that was just part of it.

Wednesday morning I woke up and I could barely walk. The pain in my shins was pretty brutal. Thursday (yesterday) the pain was even worse. I was limping around everywhere. I still did yoga Thursday morning, but it was lighter yoga. When I went to the gym Thursday afternoon, I just did upper body stuff. No cardio or anything with my legs. I just limped and groaned from one machine to the next.

Today my shins are KILLING ME!!!! OMG!!! I cannot believe how painful this is!!!

Should I keep trying to run? Is this going to happen everytime I try to run?

I guess I need to do some research.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think it will feel that way every time you run, but I think you're supposed to not run when you have shin splints. Of course, don't take my word for it. I hate running! :-) But I'm so glad that you've started updating your blog again. I was worried about you when you went for so many days without a posting. I'm glad you're still working toward your goal, and eating well 1/2 the time is still better than eating badly all the time - baby steps, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend! This was my first opportunity to check out your blog and it is great! You are doing great. I am still at the "thinking about" yoga and the gym stage. The eating has improved a great deal, but not the workout. I am so proud of you and your determination to keep moving forward. Your baby steps are definitely moving on! I also love the quote you have of Marianne Williamson. Actually passed that on. I have another friend who is also working towards improved health, so I will pass your blog along to her. Keep up the good work and I plan to see you at the party in March! ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen! You're doing great and I can say that being a runner is fantastic. I also get bored, but for some reason running is very therapeutic. I would do some research and see if you really do have shin splints. I think you're just adjusting to the increased demands you're placing on your body with running...tightness in your shins, calves, and ankles is normal. You might try alternating days of running and walking until your body adjusts and that way you give it adequate time to recover. The last thing you want to do is get injured! I think you are absolutely awesome! Keep it up Jen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the encouragement!!! You are all AWESOME and sooo inspirational to me!! And Debbie I'm so happy to hear from you!

    I'm happy to report, my shins are **finally** pain-free and I'm going to try to run again today at the gym. And I think I'll take your suggestion Kelle---until I get used to running, I'll do it on alternating days. That will probably help a lot.

    I'm trying to unleash the runner I know is inside of me!!

    ReplyDelete