Monday, May 4, 2009

30-day challenge


I read Jenny McCarthy's blog on Oprah.com where she is doing a 30-day Challenge to give up SUGAR for 30 days.

She is encouraging viewers to also give up something for 30 days. So I thought about it. And there are many, many things I could give up for 30 days and be a better person for it.

Some of the ideas I had were:
  • Sugar (that would be torture)
  • White starching items (unhealthy carbs)
  • Chocolate
  • Red meat
  • Television
  • Diet pepsi/diet coke
  • Artificial sweeteners---Equal and Sweet and Low
  • Fast food
  • All meat---go vegetarian for 30 days
  • Dairy---or more specifically CHEESE
  • Alcohol
  • Eating after 7 p.m.

All of things would be very worthwhile for me to give up. And it would be awesome if I could commit to giving up one of these every 30 days, or so.

But I want to start small. So I decided to give up ONE thing for 30 days that has really impacted my health in a negative way.

THE MCDONALD'S MCSKILLET BURRITO

I LOVE these things. After I drop off my son from school, the first thing I think about is driving thru McDonald's on the way home to get a McSkillet Burrito. And it goes PERFECT with a McDonald's Medium Vanilla Iced Coffee. Those 2 things together---$4.74. I seriously get this for breakfast 3-4 times per week, which is TERRIBLE!!!

Here is the nutrition breakdown, from the McDonald's website:

McSkillet burrito: 610 calories, 36 grams of fat, 14 grams saturated fat, 1,390 grams of sodium, 44 grams carbohydrates, 27 grams protein

Medium vanilla iced coffee: 190 calories, 8 grams of fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 29 grams carbs, 28 grams of sugar

Total for the regular breakfast: 800 calories, 44 grams of fat, 73 grams of carbs

Yes, that is a little much before 8 a.m.

So my pledge to you today----GIVE UP McSKILLET BURRITOS for 30 DAYS!!! I can do it!!

I wanted one this morning BAD. But stayed away from the drive-thru!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's a good one to give up. Not only is it making you unhealthy, it's a huge money suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could learn to make a really healthy version of this. White corn tortilla, egg whites, lots of groovy spices, chicken breast, peppers and onions - it would be pretty healthy.

    ReplyDelete