Thursday, January 7, 2010

Calories in soup

So I just calculated all the calories in the Vegetable Soup I make that I love so much and feels like comfort food, but is actually a pot of vegetables. (See recipe below.) It keeps me full for hours.

The total calorie count in the huge pot is 2,700 calories. The pot is at least 8 huge servings ---probably more like 10-12. So divide 2,700 calories by 8 (the lowest number) and that is 338 calories per serving. For this pot of soup, I will count how many servings we go through, so I'll have a more accurate serving number.

I also did a "fat gram" count and the whole pot of soup has 14 grams of fat. So, assuming 8 servings (when it's probably more like 10-12 servings), that is only 1.75 grams of fat per serving.

The key for me is going to be finding meals like this. This meal:

1. Doesn't feel like diet food at all
2. I love the taste
3. Keeps me full for several hours (why I add the black beans)
4. Very little preparation work needed---I throw a bunch of stuff in a pot one day, refrigerate and then just reheat for several days
5. Low calorie and low fat
6. Very cheap to make

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up, Jen! I believe in you! This will be a year of breakthrough for you!
    Much love, Kelle

    ReplyDelete