Monday, June 8, 2009

Six month check-in

Well, folks, here it is---the month of June.

My blog is entitled "From Fat to Fit in 2009". However, since my progress has not been what I had hoped, maybe it should have been titled, "From Fat to Slightly More Fit in 2009". Or "From Fat to Less Fat in 2009". Or even "From Fat to Fit---My five year plan".

The good thing is---I haven't given up!! I've definitely had some major, very unexpected curveballs thrown at me so far this year, since I started this blog in January. But I've never given up. And that's what counts.

I'm starting to feel fired up again now. I feel like the worst is about over. I am determined to make significant progress in my health and fitness journey in 2009.

I'm moving to the Dallas area in the next 2 weeks and my life hopefully will fall back into a routine again soon. I'm so excited I'll be moving to an area with many more fitness options. It's also going to be a much more positive environment for me overall, which will help me in my fitness journey, as well.

So here is what I'm going to do in the next couple of weeks:

1. Sign back up for Weight Watchers to help me with the food part---I was very successful on WW last year, but quit after losing 30 pounds in 3 months. Why did I quit??? Who knows. Self-sabotage, again, I guess. So I'm signing back up. I'm committed to going to all the meetings and weighing in every single week. That helped me so much before--just weighing in every week. I just need to keep going no matter what. So I commit to signing up in my new city by June 15th.

2. Sign up for a 5K race and begin walking at least 20 minutes 4 times a week. I'm picking the race today and I've already had some wonderful, very supportive people offer to help me stay accountable on this. That will help me soooo much. Accountability is key for me. I've got to unleash that athlete inside of me!! She's begging to come out. I feel it everyday. Also become a member of the Dallas Running Club. I'll start walking and sign up for the race and club this week.

3. Join 24-Hour Fitness and start going 4 times a week---outside of my outdoors walking. I actually really enjoy going to the gym, once I get in the groove of going. I love to swim. I love to lift weights. I love to do the classes---dance/cardio and yoga especially. I just need to get going. I'll sign up for 24 Hour Fitness sometime next week---my first week in the Dallas area.

I also want to incorporate hiking into my life regularly. I love hiking. I love the outdoors. But maybe I should do the top 3 first and not try to do everything at once. I know there are a couple of hiking type clubs in Dallas, too, I can check out at some point.

I'll also start posting my weight loss every week here---meetings will be on Mondays. That will help with accountability, too! And I'll post my exercise times.

Enough talking already. Time for action.

I have already paid to go on a cruise December 12th of this year. My goal is to lose at least 50 pounds by then. Very do-able.

I just need to get to work.

4 comments:

  1. Ok,Jen. That's a plan...a good plan. Weight Watchers is great. Your 24 Hr Fitness Membership and 4 times a week is great. Your 4 days of walking/jogging is great. Now don't freaking quit...it's there for you...now do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up, Jen! I look forward to reading about your progress, and hope that you'll have a great experience at your local 24 Hour Fitness in the Dallas area. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

    Vincent Cheung
    Chief Customer Officer & SVP
    24 Hour Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave and Vincent! The encouragement is sooooo awesome and helpful!! It really makes such a difference.

    Vincent, I'll be signing up next week at the 24-Hour Fitness in Rockwall! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I got your email and need to look at the offered races, but I'm SOOOO in! So far this week, I've ran once and done two cardio/strength classes...tomorrow is yoga, Friday a run and Sunday a long run. I've figured out that my body just can't handle running alone, I've got to strength train and stretch somewhere in there as well. So let's do it! I'm trying to lose 15 pounds by September. I'll look at races and get back to you. Can't wait to have you closer, I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete