Monday, June 22, 2009

Progress...finally!

I am finally making REAL progress in my health and fitness journey!

I have officially moved to my new location where I have many more opportunities presented to me. It feels soooo amazing. I feel like I can breathe. I feel like I have energy again.

There was nothing wrong with the town I lived in before---it was my hometown. A very small East Texas town. For small towns, it's very nice.

I'm just not a small town kind of girl. I felt like I was suffocating there and it definitely had an impact on gaining all this weight back. I gained it all back when I moved BACK to that small town. It's my fault. I let it happen. But I wasn't happy in that environment and I used food and slothlike behavior to cope.

Now I'm back in a real city. I've only been here for a few days, but, WOW, what a difference!!! I feel like I'm coming alive again!!! Woooo-hooooooooo!!! You think that will help me in my health and fitness journey???? Heck, yeah!!

So I've made some major progress just in the few days I've been here:

1. I now have a one-year membership to 24-Hour Fitness for myself and my fitness-obsessed 16-year-old son. I worked out for the first time there today and did a Zumba class!!! Loved it! Also did a "Amp'd Abs" class, which was also beneficial. The year membership is completely paid for both of us, so finances can never get in the way of me being at the gym, like it did earlier this year.

2. I joined Weight Watchers today!! It was the first time I had weighed in about 2 months and I was not so shocked to see that I had gained 11 pounds in the last 2 months. I have felt myself gaining. I have felt my energy level dropping more and more. But you know what? It's okay. Because now I'm DOING something about it. I'm not just talking about it. I'm DOING something about it.

Today is a new day. It is a wonderful day. I'm excited for the future.

The short term goal is to lose 50 pounds by December 1st.

I KNOW I can do this.

I've also committed to three 5K races in the next several months. I'll write about that later this week and list them.

I'm truly so excited!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I want really low-key ones to start off with---ones I wouldn't feel weird walking in!

    Saturday, August 1st: I'm going to start off with the Family Fun Walk across the Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge on Saturday, August 1st. There is a 5K race at 8 a.m., then the family "walk" at 10 a.m. I'm going to start off with the walk. I'll time myself.

    I'm going to work on increasing my time with each 5K:

    Saturday, August 15th: Race Against Hunger 5K Run/Walk at River Legacy Park in Arlington

    Monday, September 7th: Labor Day 5K at White Rock Lake

    Saturday, September 26: Autumn Equinox 5K at White Rock Lake

    Then I'll go from there! I haven't registered for these yet. Will do so soon.

    Honestly, just walking a 5K sounds really out of the realm of possibility because I'm so out of shape right now. So I have to keep reminding myself that I CAN do it. I have to keep those negative tapes out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great plan...if the 5K race says "fun run"...then there will always be walkers...there is no shame in walking...just asked my buddy who had to walk the last 20 miles of a 100 mile race because he couldn't keep anything down....

    ReplyDelete