Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Getting to the gym

I did not want to go to the gym tonight. At all. I was tired. There is an ice storm coming.

But there is one thing that is getting me to the gym---my 16-year-old son. He LOVES to work out and go to the gym. He's becoming a little obsessive about it, actually. At our new gym, anyone under the age of 17 has to have a parent with them at all times while they workout. This rule is becoming a real blessing for me.

Because of this rule, if I don't go to the gym, my son doesn't get to go to the gym. So everyday, the first thing he asks me is, "When are we going to the gym today?" Then he'll ask me everytime he sees me, "We're still going to the gym today, right?" And when it gets close to whatever time I told him I'd go, he'll find me and say, "Okay, let's go to the gym."

It is kind of annoying at times because I know there is no way I can ever NOT go to the gym, except for the ONE day off a week I negotiated with him. I would disappoint him too much to tell him we aren't going any of the other six days of the week. Plus, I don't want to do anything to discourage his own love for fitness. I don't want him to ever have the problems I've had.

So it does force me to go to the gym when I don't want to go. This is, of course, a good thing. And it's getting me to the gym.

I went 6 days in a row last week---Tuesday thru Sunday. Took Monday off. Then went back tonight. I did cardio for 45 minutes straight on the treadmill.

I have never done that much on the treadmill because I get sooooooooo bored. But I've discovered that bringing a book to read is like magic on the treadmill!! So I'm reading "The Shack" and walking on the treadmill to stay on there longer. I even got the whole exercise "high" feeling today. It felt really good.

Then I did weights. I'm doing great. Just gotta keep plugging away.

4 comments:

  1. Jen, YOU ROCK! I am so very proud of you!!!
    Your devotion and motivation is contagious! I hope I catch it soon! :o)
    You are beautiful!!!
    I am glad you are reading "The Shack"! It is an awesome book!!! Loved it!!! And will probably read it again...when I am not in school. LOL
    Love you TONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read on the treadmill too! The time flies so much faster, no matter what I'm reading. I barely even look at the clock. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! A book is the key. I also listen to podcasts about subjects I'm very interested in. The ipod is incredible when it comes to killing boredom.

    Kids are a huge motivating factor and also very good peer pressure. You're a good influence on each other. Success. I see success.

    Losing weight or gaining weight is the cumulative effect of a million tiny choices we make every day. The choice to go or not. The more you make the right one, your odds of success skyrocket.

    My bookclub is doing The Shack. I'm ambivalent myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    You inspire me! I know you will succeed and I look forward to following your progress.
    Your inspiration makes me want to stay with my own fitness and health plan! Thanks for that!
    Keep going and keep blogging!
    ss

    ReplyDelete