Monday, December 28, 2009

My favorite healthy meal

Here is the recipe for the best soup ever! It's extremely healthy and it lasts for DAYS. It also feels like comfort food. I haven't counted the calories, but it's all vegetables, so I'm sure it's relatively low.

So I get out my big pot from Ikea that I love so much. And I just start dumping the following things in:

3 cans chili-ready diced tomatoes--I use cheap Great Value brand from Wal-Mart
4 cans of water (using one of the tomato cans)
2 packages of taco seasoning
1 can mild Rotel (use spicier if you like spicy)
3 cans black beans
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag frozen carrots
1 bag seasoning blend of chopped onions and green peppers

Once everything is in the pot, put the stove on medium to high and stir every 10 minutes or so. It takes about 45 minutes for it to be ready. However, it's even better if you put it in the refrigerator overnight after it's been cooked, then take it out the next day and have it for lunch. All the flavors have come together by then and it's excellent! So I usually have my first bowl the following day.

To make it even more hearty, you can add a little bit of low-fat grated cheddar cheese and have it with a few crackers. I've never counted the number of servings, but it's at least 8 or so.

If I have this soup in my refrigerator, it is soooo easy to bypass fast food because nothing sounds as good as this soup! I made it last night and had it for breakfast and lunch today! Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Two new blog posts? Woo hoo! I've made a soup similar to this several times - I don't always have all of the frozen ingredients it calls for, but I'll use what I have. We usually have so much that the boys get tired of it long before we've eaten it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, thank you so much for telling me you check my blog often! That really helps me to be more active. I was even thinking of you when I did two blog posts today! :-) Great to see you last week! Let's do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete